Health Benefits of Licorice Root Extract: Immune Benefits and More
At emergewell + co, we are all about functional medicine and accessible applications that help you get to the root of what’s causing stress, inflammation, and autoimmunity – a condition in which your immune system fails to recognize its own cells and tissues as “self.”
Most commonly known, licorice is the pungent candy you loved (or hated) as a child. The health benefits of licorice root extract are known around the world for natural treatments and even as a sweetener. The root of the plant is 50 times sweeter than sugar, but it has numerous medicinal properties.
In its original form, it is a leafy, fuzzy plant with an extensive root system. The root of the licorice plant (Glycyrrhiza glabra), a perennial legume native to the Middle East and parts of Asia, and parts of India, has a long history of use in Eastern and Western medicine. It is considered one of the world’s oldest herbal remedies used to treat various ailments. Besides being around much longer than you or me, current research shows promise for licorice root extract being effective in a variety of contemporary applications with a multitude of health benefits.
Around here, we love licorice root extract tea for these health benefits:
- ADRENAL INSUFFICIENCY (aka Adrenal Fatigue) – supporting morning cortisol and assisting adrenal function by preventing the breakdown of cortisol, one of the primary hormones produced by the adrenal glands to combat stress.
- IMMUNITY & PROTECTING AGAINST INFECTIONS – strengthening immune function, the triterpenoid content in licorice root has been confirmed as a potent antiviral and potentially strong partner for a healthy immune response. According to an article published by PubMed Central (PMC), Licorice root extract contains more than 300 flavonoids (plant compounds) that demonstrate potent anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial effects.
- LEAKY GUT & GASTROINTESTINAL RELIEF – connected to stress and systemic health issues, leaky gut syndrome can be tough to tackle. As an inflammation-reducing + soothing apoptogenic herb, licorice root can be a beneficial tool to protect against ulcerative disorders and soothing an upset stomach while aiding in the battle against underlying bacterial infections, keeping you from better gut health.
- HEARTBURN & ACID REFLUX RELIEF – licorice root is used to relieve heartburn symptoms, indigestion, and the autoimmune condition gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which induces acid reflux, upset stomach, and heartburn. In one study, 58 adults diagnosed with GERD noted that the daily use of licorice root effectively reduced symptoms over two years better than commonly used antacids.
- PMS/MENOPAUSE – licorice root shows to have an estrogen-like effect in women, lending itself as one of nature’s better options for menstrual and fertility-related issues. During menopause, it has been shown to be better than synthetic hormone replacement at reducing the duration of hot flashes.
Join us at our upcoming Tea & Talk where we will be discussing Immunity and sipping on our Licorice root extract tea. Register here.
This is the tea we will be sharing, feel free to purchase if you enjoy it during our call!